Metallurgy is a branch of materials science that deals with the study of metallic materials, especially metals and alloys at a microstructural level, and a study of the structure-property relationship. Metallurgical analysis and evaluations are the fundamental steps in any routine failure analysis study related to metals and alloys.
Metallurgical capabilities form one of the most important core competencies at Criterion Scientific. We works very closely with our network of facilities to deliver synergistic solutions to the materials problem under investigation. In this department we carry out metallurgical failure analysis by studying the microstructure of the material under investigation.
Microstructural analysis forms one of the foundations for metallurgical evaluations and failure analysis. Microstructural analysis and advanced microscopy techniques can also assist in polymers, composites and plastics failure analysis investigations.
Metallurgical Analysis and Microstructural Analysis Services Include:
- Microstructure analysis and evaluation
- Determination of grain size (ASTM E-112)
- Inclusion rating (ASTM E-45)
- Phase Transformation and Percentage
- Carburization & Decarburization
- Heat Treatment Evaluations
- Case Depth Measurements
- Intergranular oxidation / Intergranular corrosion (ASTM A-262)
- Plating Thickness Measurements
- Structure identification such as Pearlite, Ferrite, Martensite
- Carbide Precipitation & Distribution
- Alloy Depletion
- Dimensional Measurements
- Intergranular Corrosion
- Failure Analysis of Polymers, Metals and Alloys
- Corrosion Analysis of Materials
- Polymer Analysis and Plastic Testing
- Weld Qualification and Examination
- Grain Boundary Precipitation
Our metallurgical and microstructural analysis labs are fully equipped with state of the art metallurgical and microstructural testing and analysis facilities. Criterion Scientific can perform a very broad range of metallurgical and microstructural analysis, from routine analysis on raw materials to finished products including consumer and industry products.
Our metallurgical and microstructural analysis techniques include:
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM)
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- Infrared Microscopy
- Optical Microscopy
Criterion Scientificís metallurgical and microstructural analysis lab services are relied upon by our clients from a broad range of industries including aerospace, defense, automotive, engineering, medical device and both traditional and advanced manufacturing.
Our metallurgical and microstructural analysis labs perform testing, analysis and certification in accordance with industry established national, international and military standards, including the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the American Welding Society (AWS).
Failure analysis services
Mechanical testing services
Corrosion analysis services
Competitor product analysis services
Contact us to find out how our metallurgical and microstructural analysis labs at Criterion Scientific can add value to your business!!